Sunday, June 10, 2012

Holy Tiredness, Batman!

Okay, so yesterday I spent most of the day at the Ormstown Fair. I haven't actually been to the fair for years, and I really can't remember the last time I spent the whole day there.  It was probably back in the days when planning the day at the fair meant trying to figure out how many rounds of the Zipper I could handle without rolfing hotdogs and coke all over the place. Yesterday, it meant trying to figure out where we could best be entertained while conserving enough energy to make it through the day.  Which means horse shows and tractor pulls.  One does what one can.

It was a really nice day.  No tornadoes or hail, which is always a bonus.  Plenty of sun, and cool breezes. I got to meet up with people that I haven't seen for ages.  There were lots of hugs and 5 minute conversations that consisted of yelling out bits of news over the din of screaming kids whirling about on rides and howling machinery lugging sizable weights in clouds of dust, to the roar of the crowds.  I also got to spend a few hours catching up with an old friend.  It always amazes me, how we all live in adjoining towns, shop at the same stores, send our kids to the same schools, and only really connect once every decade or so.  But sometimes, when we do connect, we get to remember what makes old friends so special.  There is a comfort in old friends, and reconnecting with them is a joy because it is very much like making new friends, only a shared history means that we are already aware of how trustworthy and caring they are.  It makes for lots of great conversation, complete with the wonderful "remember when's"  and the always interesting, "Wait....I don't remember that! Did I really....?"

Of course, today I am paying for it.  Again, I remember when "paying for it" meant too much time in the beer tent.  Now it means getting to bed past midnight.  I am wiped.  And in pain, thanks to a bladder that doesn't understand how the whole fun thing works.  But that doesn't matter.  Today I have time to sleep. I can ignore the house work that needs to be done - after all, that's what tomorrow is for.  I'm going to curl up with my heating pad, a book and a few critters and rest, all the while thinking how cool it is to be in a world with such neat people, how grateful I am for my dear friends, for those who have been a part of my daily life for so long as well as for those who who have lingered in my heart despite their absence from my life. I am a grateful woman, and am surrounded by incredible people.  

Now...I just need to pick a book and round up the cats...

No comments:

My Zimbio