Thursday, September 13, 2012

Am I living as an immortal?

"Immortality is really a destiny pressed on us by Christ in us.  Our immortality lies on us with that kindling weight, that weight of glory, that weight of wings. Weight but not pressure.  The wings that add to our weight, yet lift us from the ground. Ask - am I living as an immortal - not as one who will be immortal?"
P. T. Forsyth




When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
1 Corinthians 15:54



Am I living as a immortal?  What a question!  What a thought!  While the majority of Christians understand and believe that they will live forever in Heaven after the death of their earthly bodies, the idea of living an immortal life within these earthly bodies often escapes us.  What does that even mean?

And yet, if it is true, and if we could figure out what it means, at least partially, imagine what that belief would do to the way we live our lives!  To the things that we worry about.  To the fact that we even worry at all.

I know that my spirit is alive, in a way that it wasn't before I met Jesus.  I feel His life coursing through my veins on a daily basis, I see His strength emanating from my hands and heart, I feel his hope and joy bubbling in me when there is no earthly sense in it.  I believe that this life, the Spirit of Jesus that lives within me, can only be experienced in part because of the limitations of my human body and mind, but once released from those things...e-gad!

And in the meantime, if my spiritual mortality has been clothed with immortality by Jesus's forgiveness and Presence within me, then that should make a huge difference in the way I see and think and feel and live my life. 

Wow.  Talk about having something to think about!

No comments:

My Zimbio