Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Is this semester over yet?

This week I have two meetings with new families, a history assignment and my written part of a group geography assignment/presentation due.  In the next two weeks, I have a major history research paper, a macroeconomics dossier, the geography presentation and a geography research paper due.  There may be exams in there somewhere. If there are, I don't want to know about it.  My dryer doesn't work, so Grace and I have been hanging our laundry up to dry upstairs in the common room, which, let's be honest here, means that the laundry is piling up.  I hate doing laundry with working appliances.  I also have to get my car fixed.  Apparently, it is stuck in second gear. Inconsiderate wretch.

Last night, I was lying in bed trying to relax, and my heart began to race.  It was very disconcerting. I mean, I take serious heart meds so that doesn't happen.  I took my pulse to make sure that I wasn't dying, did some deep breathing and everything settled down. Still, there is no denying it.  I am stressed.

And yet.  I have moments of wonderful contentment.  I laugh. A lot.  I found this picture of a cat named Tardar, the grumpy cat.  Tell me that this face doesn't make you want to fall off your computer chair in glee...

One of the things that my faith has taught me is to not borrow trouble...or homework, from tomorrow.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

There's a lot of wisdom in this.  If I get too caught up in what will be expected of me, or what might happen to me tomorrow, I will be less likely to be able to deal effectively with today's set of stuff.  Add to that the effect of stress on my...or anyone's body, and we have good reason to learn to leave tomorrow's stuff to tomorrow.  One thing I know is that my stress is my responsibility, and I can choose to take that responsibility and do what I need to in order to live a healthy, whole, joyful life, or I can blame the rest of the world and keep on suffering.  

One of the things that I have done is lower the bar on the things that don't matter so much to me.  So the piles of laundry aren't such a big deal.My expectations for the perfect Christmas means that I will spend the holidays loving on my friends and family, not stressing out over buying gifts or making the perfect meal.  I bought a turkey and am planning on making a meal, and I have asked God to provide guests who need or want someplace to go on Christmas day.  I did this last year, and had a house full.  It was glorious.  It means letting go. Letting go. Letting go. So easy to write. So hard to do.  As far as academics go, I will celebrate my successes and learn from the difficulties.

Life can be hard. I am weak. But God is incredible.

And all is good.

No comments:

My Zimbio