Friday, January 4, 2013

My 2012 Gratitude list - part 1


I have a friend on Facebook who has had a really rough year.  She's lost some very important people in her life, including her beloved father.  Still, for the past few days she has been posting a countdown list of her happiest moments of 2012.  I find her spirit and optimism inspiring, and thought it would be neat to post a gratitude list of 2012.  It has been a year of growth and renewal for me, but also of sorrow and pain.  Still, there is so much to be grateful for.  I'm going to spread this out over a few days, as one post with the entire list is just too long.  Yes, in looking back, it has been a year that requires that much gratitude!!

So, let the countdown begin...

10. In February, I went to a teleconferenced laughter seminar at our local community centre, led by Albert Nerenburg, a Montreal Gazette columnist, film-maker and Laughologist.  After the seminar, which I enjoyed immensely, I wrote a blog post about a moment in the weeks before my mother's death when laughter literally kept me going.  The blog post was called Laughter in the Dark . I sent a thank you email to Albert, with a link to the blog post, and the result was one of the most nerve-wracking, interesting, enjoyable (in the way bungee-jumping might be enjoyable!) experiences of my life.  I was asked to join Albert and host Jacquie Czernin in an interview about the seminar on Breakaway, a CBC 1 radio show that highlights English events and people in Quebec.  It was an incredible experience. Jacquie actually called me the next day to let me know that she had enjoyed the interview, and that if I ever needed anything promoted, I should let her know.  She also told me that everyone in the office was oohing and awing over the pic of Jean-Luc (who was really the star of my story) in the the blog.  I cannot tell you what a confidence-builder this was for me!  Or how much fun it was!

9.  This may seem an odd one, but I am grateful for the French class that I took last Winter.  I actually wasn't registered for it, but I asked the teacher, Guillaume, if I could sit in the class, and he welcomed me.  He was awesome, correcting my work and helping me even though he didn't have to.  He was a good teacher, and I learned a lot, and again, having the chance to work on my French and practice it with Guillaume's help was a great confidence booster.  And speaking of school, I am also wildly grateful for an amazing fall semester, for surviving macroeconomics and for a history hat-trick - 100% on all three exams, and a final mark of 99%!  And more than that, I am grateful for a new friend I have made in our history teacher, Danijel.  One of the recurring themes in this gratitude list is the amazing people that I have had in my life.  People who are passionate about what they do, funny, interesting, accepting, and full of life.  I have been truly blessed with the people that God has put in my path this year!

No comments:

My Zimbio